Monday, May 7, 2012

Pomp and Circumstance

I heard the most rockin' jazzed up version of Pomp and Circumstance this weekend. Unfortunately it was at my niece Chelsea's graduation from the U, and not my own. In all honesty I was so focused on trying to keep the stupid cap on my head, I'm not even sure they played Pomp and Circumstance when we entered.

It was quite the weekend with Chelsea's graduation from the University of Utah on Friday in Vocal Performance (the music department, hence the jazzy procession and recession.) Saturday was my turn. There were times in the weeks leading up to graduation I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Thanks to everyone who gave me words of encouragement in person, or via some other technological format. I reflected back on comments made on facebook from those who had survived similarly painful final papers and stressors many times while trying to make it through my own, and pack up to move.

Though time seemed both agonizingly slow and astonishingly fast simultaneously throughout the semester, eventually May 5th did indeed come, and with it graduation.


I seriously had the hardest time getting the cap to stay on my head.


I knew there would be a lot of names to get through, so I took my ipod, and played sudoku and hangman during the interim.


So excited to get my empty case


My daddy and me :)


My mother and me.


My Heros the REL's (nephew Ben, sister-in-law Carrie, brother Bob)

Besides being so amazing for driving up to support me, the RELs then went above and beyond the call of duty, and helped me pack up, and load up my apartment, including all of the furniture. I honestly can not thank them enough for what they did. The moral support meant the world to me, and the physical help was something I honestly couldn't have done on my own. I had been worrying about getting my stuff moved for several weeks and I had never come up with a solution. Carrie also took a lot of the pictures I have from this day, for which I'm also grateful. Additionally I couldn't have gotten moved without my brother Dave and sister-in-law lending me their truck, and then Dave meeting us at the house that night to unload everything. I honestly have the most amazing family. I love them so much.

It's been 5 years of hard work, and long hours, but I am actually a college graduate, thanks in large part to the amazing people I am surrounded by. I've got Elle Wood squealing "We did it!" running through my head. Now if I could just figure out what I'm doing with the rest of my life. Heck I'd settle for knowing what I'm doing with the next 6 months. For now I'm content to know what I'm doing for the next week: a fabulous vacation to Canada. I'm really excited. The real world can wait for a week while I play with whales, and do some retail therapy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...