Saturday, May 12, 2012

Directionally Challenged


North. South. East. West. Some people have a difficult time telling where they are, and how to get where they are going. Fortunately I am not one of those people. This is a very lucky attribute indeed because I am here with my mother who is extremely directionally challenged. It has become a daily occurrence for her to stand looking out the windowed walls and say,

"Now Stanley Park is that way?"
"No mother it's the other way."
"Oh, then where is Pacific Center?"
"It's back that way."
"So we can't see it from here then?"
"No"

Or when walking around

"Are you sure we're going the right way?"
"Yes"
"But isn't the condo the other way?"
"No"
"Are you sure?"
"100%"
"Okay... I thought it was the other way."
"No mother, I am positive it over 1 block that way, and up about 3 blocks."
"If you say so."
"I do"

This is not a new thing. I have been in control of the map, guiding us to our destinations on trips for years. As a child I remember being extremely proud because I navigated my sister-in-law, who was dropping myself and a bunch of my nieces off after a play day, to my brothers house in the dark when she wasn't sure where she was going. At 13 I navigated us on a road trip up into Oregon, over to the coast, and down through the redwoods to the Bay Area, and back over. It has always been fun, and more often than not we get there without issue. Other than her questioning me with "are you sure?" a thousand times, and the panicked side of her that shows every time we're in a new place.

I remember spending hours curled up in my daddy's recliner as a little kid reading the atlas. I studied maps, learned every state, and where it was, and many capitals. I didn't play video games like normal kids, but my favorite computer game was called "GeoSafari", and basically consisted of all sorts of geography games. I could place where every country in South America was in seconds, and was very proud of it. I got a new atlas as part of a geography course I took this semester, and its amazing how quickly it has become a favorite book of mine.

I can't explain why I love geography and directions so much, but it has definitely saved our butts a time or two while on vacation. My mother doesn't even listen when the front desk gives directions anymore, she just turns to me and says "are you getting this?" then turns to the desk person to let them know "she's my navigator."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...