Sunday, December 18, 2011

For unto us a child is born

I love the Christmas season! The lights, the festivities, and of course...the Music!

Today didn't start off fabulous. When my alarm went off this morning I was none too thrilled. To put it mildly, I was quite the Grinch. It was a good thing I didn't see anyone until I'd been up for an hour or so. That was the only downer of the whole day though.

Early this morning we left to head downtown. My mothers aunt gave us her extra tickets to the Sunday morning performance of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert. Amazing!!! Thats really the only way to describe it. We were there for their warm-up, broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word, and a few extra pieces from their other performances. It was such a great start to the day.


We ended the day with another wonderful, though much less professional performance. For several years we have had the tradition of attending the West Jordan Community performance of Handel's Messiah. Though the quality wasn't as high, the community spirit was awesome. There were young children everywhere, some more interested in the performance than others. One little girl was dancing around to the music with a jingle bell on her dress. I can't imagine a better environment. I'm not much of a singer as it is, so I don't need a professional performance. Those runs were a challenge that I couldn't surmount anyway, but I still tried. I can't believe how beautiful that piece is, and that most of it was written in just 3 weeks. I love it.


The Christmas season is in full swing, and I am loving it, and the music that comes with it. Now that the semester is over and I can focus on the true meaning of Christmas, I am getting more and more into the spirit of the season. So it is time to celebrate, and Isaiah and Handel said it best, "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...