I'm on a fabulous adventure! For the next week or so I'm in Maine visiting my cousins, and staying with their kids while they go house hunting. Its even colder than Utah right now, but I am having so much fun. Can I just say that New England is completely charming? The houses, the churches, the landscape. It all looks right out of a postcard, and I find it adorable.
When I got here Dan and Jen asked me what my "must-see's and do's" were. I didn't have very many, but in just 2 days we've already covered all of them. Now I can just play, hang out, and do some homework with the kids.
Must see #1: The Coast
Despite having flown the breadth of it several times between my two trips to Europe, as of Wednesday I had yet to actually see the Atlantic coast. I am not so untraveled as to have never seen the ocean, but living out west I'd only spent time at different points along, or on islands in the Pacific. Seeing as the coast is my absolute favorite natural environment, I really wanted to see the Atlantic. So despite the cold, bitter wind, Dan and Jen and the chuppies happily took me to a beautiful beach, and to a stunning lighthouse, that still had it's Christmas lights on. (And then they took me on my first trip to Chuck E. Cheese per Joel's request and proffering of a coupon.) Loved the coast. It was stunning. (Chuck E. Cheese was fun, mostly because I hung out with a six-year-old with never ending wonder and excitement for the world around her)
Before the cold set in
Family Picture

The Whitaker Women in front of a Christmas Tree made out of Lobster Cages. The window behind it had a sign that said "Gone Skiing".
How cool looking is that?!
Must do #1: The Boston Temple
Since I took out my endowments in October I've been having fun trying to hit more temples. I love getting to go, and spend time in such a beautiful, uplifting, and calming place. I'm trying to hit as many around the world as possible. (No easy feat considering there are 133 operating temples, 3 under renovation, 15 under construction, and another 14 announced all the way from Anchorage, Alaska to Johannesburg, South Africa, and everywhere in between.) So far I've got 12. The fabulous Jen and I went first thing this morning to do a session at the Boston Temple, barely making it on time. It was wonderful, and that temple is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely on my top 10 list. It was simple, but beautiful, and I loved the stained glass.
Must see #2: Boston
Boston is a big city, and I haven't even scratched the surface, but I really wanted to see the old historical sites that helped in the formation of this country. Jen took me on a fun tour along the Freedom Trail to see Paul Revere's house, and the Old State House where the Declaration of Independence was read to the crowd below, as well as Paul Revere and John Hancock's graves, and Bunker Hill. I have always been more of a fan of the older more "glamorous" history of Europe, with it's Kings and Queens, and gorgeous cathedrals. In contrast U.S. history is very new and the architecture is relatively simplistic. It hasn't been my favorite, but walking around Boston, my interest has definitely grown. I can't believe how quickly this country has developed from such an untrained militia to the amazing country we have today, with our wonderful armed forces. I have family who are, or have previously served in most branches of the military, and am grateful for them, and all their wonderful service. (It's one of them that I am visiting this trip.)
Paul Revere's Tombstone
Statue of Ben Franklin at the Boston Latin School
Bunker Hill
So far it's been a fabulous trip, but the thing I've enjoyed the most is just spending time getting reacquainted with a branch of my family who I adore, but don't get to see very often. The kids are so much fun, even if Sabrina can whomp me at Harry Potter Scene It. Shannon makes me laugh on a daily (read hourly or more frequently) basis. She enjoys making faces during moments of silence as much as I do, and we are constantly having funny face battles. It's great fun.
Tomorrow we're sticking close to the base, and making gingerbread houses. From real gingerbread. You don't know how much of a rarity that is in my life. I'm way excited. Board Games, and good food are on deck for the evening party, and it should be very enjoyable.
Don't know when my next post will be, but love you all, and I hope you had a merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
2 comments:
Like I already said on FB...I am SUPER envious of your trip. Boston is one of my top 3 places on my must see list.
Boston is pretty awesome. I definitely wanted to go there. It wasn't exactly what I had pictured, but I loved it.
Post a Comment