Friday, September 28, 2012

Tale of the Stuffed Orca

I have said many times that Orcas (commonly known as killer whales) are my favorite animal, so it should come as no surprise that I own a stuffed animal that looks like an orca.  It's a favorite of mine, always has been.  Most of my nieces and nephews have only found it vaguely interesting at best, and it has rarely been played with.  For some reason my 4 year-old niece Hannah loves the thing.  Don't ask me why.  Ever since she was very little she has played with it, and my two plastic barbie Orcas.  I think she and her little sister are the only non school aged children I know who know that they are called Orcas (or Ortas as Livvy calls them.)  

Tonight I was sitting at my computer checking facebook before going to bed, and was just about to shut everything down when I noticed my door (which doesn't latch) had been brushed open a crack.  I figured maybe Livvy had pushed it open during her babblings without my noticing since her crib is set up in an alcove next to my door, but I figured I'd sneak one more peak of my sleeping girls before turning in.  Livvy was out cold.  I walked over to the guest room, but because of the dark I couldn't quite tell if Hannah was in her sleeping bag or not.  When I realized she wasn't I checked the bathroom, but I couldn't find her.  I was about to head upstairs when I saw her conked out on the couch nearest my room.  I stood there for a few minutes trying to decide if I should move her to the bed, or her sleeping bag to her when her eyes opened.  I tilted my head, gave her a "start splain' look" and waved my hand.  She quickly stated that she wanted the Orca.  My mind flashed back to bedtime.  Bath? Check.  Jammies?  Check.  Teeth brushed? Check.  Stories? Check.  Stuffed animal? oops.  Orca has become a staple in her bedtime routine when she is here.  Good going Aunt Missa.  I got it out for her, sent her back to bed and within a minute she was dead to the world, the orca keeping a watchful eye over her.  Even the flash of my camera didn't stir her.  Guess a little comfort and security of a favorite animal was all she needed.  Love that girl :)

Orca keeping watch while Hannah sleeps peacefully
  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...