Happy St. Patricks Day!
I have had the most amazing luck today. Actually, I've had the best luck this whole week. As I may have mentioned before, I spend so many weekends in Salt Lake that I keep my records in my singles ward in West Jordan, despite living in Logan for school during the week. This has worked so well, and I've actually gotten to know my ward, hold a callings, and be a part of a ward. I have loved it, but the one thing I have missed is being able to be involved during the week as well. This being Spring Break, I finally have gotten to do just that. Since my friend Alesha has complained that by not having a car, she hasn't been able to be as involved in her ward as she would like either, I dragged her along to all of my stuff this week too.
Monday was Family Home Evening. We had a blast learning to index names from censuses and other documents. It was so much fun. Alesha is about the biggest reader I know, and she has had so much fun, she's been indexing instead of reading this week.
Friday was Ward temple Night. My ward has never had the best luck at getting people out. Usually 7 people is considered a good turn out. This time we did a big dinner beforehand, and we had a great turn out, 20 continued on to the temple from there. It was such a neat experience. Seriously, we laughed so hard we nearly cried as we were eating dinner. The people in my ward have such a great sense of humor. Especially my nephew Ben, and niece Chelsea. Laughter is great.
Saturday morning we got up and went to go help clean our church building. There weren't all that many of us that showed up, but we worked through it pretty quickly, and it looked really nice when we were done. We had a short break afterwards, and we got to play card with my daddy and Maile. It was a blast.
My favorite part of the day though had to be our afternoon service project. Our ward was assigned to go and help down at the local soup kitchen downtown. Although not a lot of people from our ward showed up, I was impressed to see just how many people were there to volunteer. I was a little nervous about this one. I hold a lot of my emotions close to me, and seeing people who are suffering is really hard on me psychologically. I was grateful to say that it went really well, and I met some people who really helped me laugh, and enjoy the experience. We were filling trays at one point, and the woman filling bowls with soup missed a tray. I am so glad that I got to have this experience, and I am really thankful that Alesha got to go with me for some moral support.

To finish off the day we met up with our friend Britney and her husband for dinner at Zupas. It was mostly just a get together, but also a celebration because they just moved into their first house, after closing yesterday, and announced this week that they are expecting their first kid in September.
I feel so much closer to my ward. It is made up of some pretty amazing people. I was skeptical when they first formed the ward. I went the first time just to support my brother who had been put in the bishopric, but have since found so many reasons to stay. I have enjoyed getting to help out and serve this week, and am glad to have such good friends as Alesha who are willing to let me drag them along to everything. Not the Spring Break you might expect from me. It's not the Spring Break I intended to have, but I couldn't imagine a better way to spend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment