Sunday, January 22, 2012

Je veux mais je ne peux pas

I am a traveler. Sometimes I dream about vacations past, and other times I like to explore travel sites looking for deals on airfare to some of my favorite destinations. Planning for future adventures is a way I decompress at the end of a long or stressful day. Today I was on Delta's website and saw an ad for flights from the U.S. to Paris for an amazingly low price. Even with taxes, the deal was awesome. The restrictions would have easily allowed for a trip over spring break.

I am also a college student. I have a budget I try to stick to while at the grocery store, I spend most of my evenings in, and I second guess every movie ticket and t-shirt I buy. I am not so much of a tight wad that I live on ramen and water, but I prioritize what is most important to me, and try to stick within a reasonable budget based on my limited income. Each paycheck I do try and put $2 or $3 away into a special account for trips and souvenirs. It's not a lot, but I am making an effort. I wish I could say that I am graduating debt free, but I didn't get a scholarship until my fourth year. I have worked part-time throughout college to pay for as much as I can though. The debt I have incurred has been for educational purposes, not clothes or toys. I look forward to getting a job after graduation, and getting my debt payed off as quickly as possible. Maybe then I'll make enough to at least put $10 or $20 away each check instead.

I will likely never be so financially flush that I can just buy a plane ticket to Paris without serious consideration, but for now I will keep putting my $2 away each paycheck, and hopefully someday I'll have enough of a reserve to take advantage of a deal like I saw today.

When I find myself really wanting something I can't afford I go back and watch this funny SNL skit with Steve Martin and Amy Poehler. It reminds me just how stupid unnecessary debt is.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...